Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Um, ok?

My friend Liz at ...but then I had kids, has bestowed on me the Plastic Joy Award. Sounds innocent enough, right? Except that it's a little frisky and depicts something that I think two plastic dolls should never be photographed doing...Behold, the evidence...





Now, before you get all judgmental (and if I can stop blushing!) the rules of the award requires some thought. You can let your imagination run wild, but you must name five characters with whom you would like to, um, practice show and tell with. The rules clearly state that they are characters, not celebrities, because that just too easy, really.  (You know, so you feel a little intellectual instead of just entirely primal.)

So here goes.



1. Will Shakespeare in Shakespeare In Love. The man was a literary, if not wordy, genius. And seeing him in his youth, thoroughly besotted with Lady Viola just made me melt. As this version tells it, he is married and fickle in love, and has a horrid case of writer's block. His humor, and tenderness are incredibly beguiling. In those last moments together, his pain is palpable. I love how his love for her fuels some of the world's most beautifully written words. He can unwrap me anytime...



2. Danny Ocean in Ocean's Eleven. He is a conniving con man. He is slick. He has to prove that he is still good at what he does. What gets me swooning is how he convinces all the other ten to play along, if only to vindicate himself in the eyes of his lady love. That mixture of cockiness, humor and incredible planning and thinking ahead of the game? Who wouldn't want a piece of that?



3. Maximus in Gladiator. He is a faithful General to the Emperor. He has no political aspirations, his only wish is to return to his family and the life he has left behind. He is made a slave when he refuses to recognize the new murderous Emperor. He is irrevocably broken at the news of the murder of his family. The depth at which he feels love and hate is unparallel and intoxicating. Who would not want this man vindicating her, and joining her in the afterlife? Sensitive. Rough. Quite a combo.



4. Eddie Thomas in America's Sweethearts. His life is in the toilet when he discovers his wife (and costar) is screwing around with the other costar. Rehab and meditation do little to offer relief. He encounters his former sister in law and the epiphany comes. I married the wrong sister. A little too close to Hollywood, but really, he is sensitive and can laugh at himself. I like a little side of crazy...



5. Professor Henry Jones, Jr. in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Quiet, knowledgeable university professor by day. Bad ass with a whip on vacation...Questions anyone?

So now comes the fun part. Once you are tagged, you must come up with your own list of five characters and tag another five bloggers.

Get to it:

ck at Bad Mommy Moments.

Becca at Drama for Mama

Jessica at Adventures of a wife and mom

Linda at Bar Mitzvahilla

Nap at Naptime Writing

I am looking forward to reading about these ladies' Show and Tell selections!

6 comments:

  1. Maria, I swear! First the purse and now the romantically entangled Barbie and Ken dolls! (Everyone knows they have painted on underwear!)

    But I will be happy to play along. I'll just let my imagination roam a little...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed when Liz didn't tag me in this because I felt like it was an award that all the "Cool Kids" received and I felt left out. I was a bit prude in high school and NEVER would have received this so I had a flashback for a moment. Plus, I thought it would be fun to think of my five... so I'm so thrilled you tagged me! Thank you! I'll "get on" this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Ive been waiting for this award all of my life! Finally!

    hahaha thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes to Indy!!!! I love your list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, Liz tagged me too and I feel like I better hurry up and post my list before all of the best choices are taken! First Liz stole Sawyer from Lost and now you've taken Will Shakespeare AND Indy! Maria, I thought we were friends! :)

    I thought the purse meme was fun, but this one is even better!

    Loved your list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stopping by from SiTS!!very cool blog! I am now following you! Please stop by

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...