Saturday, March 13, 2010

Conquering my own Mt. Everest...

Today was the day. I could no longer stand to look at the mess that had accumulated over the last six months on my kitchen island, my computer desk, my dining room table.

I am talking, of course, of the clutter of mail, bills and other assorted important papers that help define me as a "grown up".

Yeah, I know every single one of you out there is jealous that this is how I choose to spend my Saturday.

But today was the day. I have Tax Day looming over my head, and I just could not attempt to finish those dang taxes with all those papers, furiously multiplying by the day, much like the laundry baskets in my bedroom.

People, I want you to understand how hard it is for me to live like this; knowing that there is so much that must be done, but never having enough energy or will to take care of the things that would make my life so much easier on a day to day basis.

And, for the record, I do not have an obsessive-compulsive disorder. If I ever did, living with my dear husband has cured it, for sure.

Regardless, this morning with my head still throbbing from indulging in Bailey's Irish Cream and lack of sleep, (Joshua, God bless him, was our wakeup call at 6:00 am), I thought, today was as good a day as any. And so, I gutted the kitchen island, the dining room table, the computer desk, and began; cross-legged in pajamas (which I stayed in until 1:00 p.m.!) and began my quest.

I found pictures, notices, unregistered credit cards. Tax notices, bills, Medicare papers (Did I also mention I had all my mother's important paperwork to go through too?) , more bills, investment and retirement papers, tax documentation, etc. Thank goodness I had purged about six months ago, otherwise, it really would have been scary.

But sometimes, you just have to forge ahead. Even if the task is daunting and unpleasant, time consuming and emotionally draining, it must be done. And while you are bitching, you might as well get to work and be productive, cause it's gonna get worse before it gets better...

My dear husband went through the retirement papers as I happily shred papers that needed shredding. I personally LOATHE those investment and retirement papers, especially after looking at the dismal news they usually bear, and yeah, I know it's only on paper we are losing money.

The reward: I can see the beautiful granite countertop in the kitchen, I can see the beautiful wood grain of the dining room table (that goes beautifully with the engraving that Andrew has carved in his Homework Desperation) and the computer table no longer looks like the defining evidence for Family and Children Services to come and have my home condemned as unlivable.

Also a plus, Hubby treated me to Italian (that I didn't have to cook!) and white wine...downside, the entertainment was provided by the clan of children I bore and it was Harry Potter...

Now, I wonder what I could finagle if I really conquered Everest?

Nah, I am just happy with Hubby, Harry, the clan, Italian (that I didn't have to cook!) and wine...

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Hope you are having a great weekend! Sounds like a productive on at least! I left you something on my blg so come check it out! Also, looks like you are getting more followers! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through the bench that sits at the foot of our bed yesterday. It was like going on an archeological dig. Layers and layers of civilization. Finally, though, we can sit on it again! Now I just have to move our art projects out of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...