Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easy like Sunday morning...

Sunday. A day of rest. And for me, today was just that. For the first time in about two years, I slept until after 9 am. I took a nap for about an hour this afternoon.

In between, errands, groceries and laundry, feeding of children, picking up the ever messy house. But it was a quiet Sunday. A rainy day that forced us inside and to be reflective.

For most of us, we are forever on the hamster wheel. Running and going nowhere at the same time. Different clothes, same day, repeated over and over again.

Most days, I can handle it. It is what my life has become, and my children, my family, give me enough happy moments to keep me from falling apart. But there are days when I see the fraying ends. When I am irritable, tired, unable to get myself moving and upbeat, because the monotony, the endless chores weigh upon me too heavily.

I welcome days like today. Although John had to go into work to tie up some loose ends, I was happy to be with just the boys. To map out our mission for today, to get in and out of the stores with epic efficiency. To be able to see them unwind a bit.

The rain helped with the unwinding. Rain renews. It forces you to slow down a bit, and take stock of where you are, where you are going. The rain helped wash away some of my anxiety today. The anxiety that sits in wait, of all things that are unknown and I cannot control. It helped give me some perspective today, and confirm my reasoning for the way I choose to live my life, honorably and with honesty.

John will be out of town for the next couple of days, so I will be on single mom patrol. Waking up at the crack of dawn, herding children to get ready for school, have breakfast, teeth brushed, and get them out the door and where they are supposed to be.

I pray that the coming week will bring back some stability to the teachers of this state. As we wait for the Governor to make up his mind, I pray that all of us have the wisdom and gentleness of spirit to continue to do what we love, and that the public recognizes that. That our Governor sees how this will impact hundreds of thousands of people, mainly children, whose futures depend on the countless men and women who step into classrooms every day, determined to make a difference.

I hope some of today's rain and reflection touches each of us this coming week; so that Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday can be a little easier for everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Maria - Once again, we are on the same wavelength. I was just talking (okay, complaining) with Husband about the hamster wheel existence we seem to have fallen into. Thanks for this reminder to step back and enjoy the little things: rainy days, a bit of extra sleep, time with our kids.

    I'll be thinking of you, Liz, and all the other teachers of your state this week. Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to welcome you to SITs! I hope you are enjoying the party:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like a lot of people are suffering from a little burn out right now, I am. Thanks for the reminder that taking the time to slow down, care of ourselves and our families and reflect on priorities will help us get our bearings again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you, Maria. And, on a happier note, I finally did my what's in my bag post with a link back to you! I was avoiding it though it was fun and thanks for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like Im ALWAYS burned out! When its cold here im always wishing it was warm and vice versa. I always wonder when the time will come that I will just be happy? Glad you had such a nice sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shee-it, I can't imagine having to do single mom duty for more than a day or two. Dang, that's hard stuff!

    I do love a rainy day...UNLESS I have to go out in it, and then I'm a bitter cow.

    Hoping things aren't too crazy for you, sweetie. We're here if you need to yell!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...