Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day: Feeling loved

My oldest son has spent the last week with a clipboard in hand, jotting notes on how he was going to make Mother's Day special.

My middle son was secretive about what projects he had worked on in school in preparation for Mother's Day.

My youngest son, slave to neither a clipboard or projects made at school, did not have a clue that today was Mother's Day.

My husband, as usual, was not prepared with any tangible gift.

But each, in their own way, made today exceptional.

My oldest son, for all his preparation, has already won my heart. His poem, his letter, and more importantly, his found treasure from the park (a girl's plastic pink heart ring) and a Lego mini-mom, were all the gift I needed. And how he held my hand today.

My middle son's shy smile as he handed me his beautiful, handmade card, depicting a VERY thin me, holding hands with an equally thin drawing of him. Plus, we have a breakfast date on Friday morning at school.

My youngest son's approach was that of everyday. I am his Mama, so that means I am entitled to as many hugs and kisses as he feels are necessary. Today, he felt that I needed an extra helping.

And my husband?

My husband offered me the opportunity to create this beautiful family with him, one special and beautiful child at a time. He held my hand at each sonogram, cried tears of joy and relief at each triumphant delivery. He held each of those precious babies as though they would shatter at the mere touch of them. He has murmured words of encouragement in my ear when I have wanted to throw in the towel.

His gift is not one that can be wrapped in exquisite paper and topped with a lavish bow.

His gift comes on a daily basis, as we feed, bathe and put to bed each of these miracles that provide us with such joy, sorrow and worry. As we look at each other with the wonder of how two imperfect people created such perfection.

And if I had to pick which one of these gifts that flowed so freely today, I could not choose.

It would be like taking the stars out of the breathtaking night sky, or the waves out of the ocean.

You cannot have one without the other.

I hope that each of you enjoyed a day surrounded by the stars that light your sky. Happy Mother's Day!

3 comments:

  1. We are lucky to have true partners in every day life...aren't we? Best gift ever.
    P.S Matthew walked around with a "chipboard"? How many WW points is that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad you had a wonderful mothers day! It really is the little things that matter most on that day huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving post, Maria. How lucky we are for our little gifts, and the men that help us in the hard job of raising them. Happy Belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...